So first of all, I would like to say that everyone who has ever been to Italy and raved about the food was right on the mark. I was a little skeptical (I mean I love italian food, dont get me wrong)- I mean, could it really be as amazing as everyone says it is? well let me tell you what...its better. I was convinced that lasagna could not get any better than Stouffers- well friends, I was most definately wrong. =)
While on the subject of food- the grocery stores here are in extremes. There are two down the road from my hotel. The one to the right is small and carries the oddest combination of food (did I mention you can buy fresh pasta here for 35 euro cents?) The one to the left is two stories and wow- the varieties. Its so cool. And...they have these shopping carts that are like the plastic baskets we have in the states with wheels and a long handle so you dont hurt yourself carrying the basket. And they dont have carts so you buy less (because honestly- who wants to been the fatass trugging 2 carts behind them through the supermercati?). Ive decided that Europeans are very smart and seemed to have thought a lot of this stuff through. But I just chock it all up to the fact that theyve been here a lot longer and should be at the mental stage that they are at because they got a head start.
So one of the coolest things about Verona is the fact that everything is so old. Verona wasnt really affected by WWII so there is a lot of architecture originating from the Roman Era. There is this wall that kind of stretches throughout the city demarcating the original boundaries that dates back to 47 BC. Its so cool to just reach out and touch something from that far back. Some of the roads are still the original Roman roads and bridges too. Most of Verona is cobblestone side streets. There arent that many major roads and therefore not that many vehicles. Most people walk or take bikes because they fit easier. Every window has a terrace or a flower box. Its absolutely beautiful.
Friday, February 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ohhhh fresh pasta *jealous*
ReplyDeleteyou're making me hungry