So one of the stipulations about going to a new place is that you will be exposed to new things. Italy is a completely different place with completely different values and traditions. Here are some of the things I have noticed since coming here:
1. Ok- so first of all, Europe is worse than Jersey when it comes to street signs. You never know what street your on and there are no directional signs. Its challenging to get around because the language barrier can be ridiculous and mostly people just send you in circles. (I personally think they all are laughing at us and its a giant conspiracy against tourists to give the locals a bit of free entertainment).
2. The color purple- dont really understand the continent-wide obsession with eggplant purple. Its kinda crazy. Not to mention that people just pick one color and then wear that color from head to toe. I cant tell you how many women I have passed wearing a purple skirt, purple shirt, purple jacket, purple hat, purple tights, purple boots- its nuts!
3. Small dogs- They are everywhere! It is almost impossible to walk down the street without stepping on one of them or the mess they left behind...which leads me to my next point...
4. WHY DO EUROPEANS REFUSE TO CLEAN UP AFTER THEIR DOGS?!?!!?!?!!?!?! Its a little bit disgusting guys! Seriously....get with the program! If your dog has diarrhea in the middle of the side walk, do something about it! Dont just leave it there for the next unlucky person to step in. Its difficult to look at all the gorgeous architecture and antique cities when one is constantly watching to make sure they dont step in something repulsive.
5. But alas, its not just the dogs. The train systems (in Italy at least) do not have waste management facilities- instead there is a hole that goes directly from the toilet in the train to the track where all human waste is dumped at a staggering 180 km/hr! Upon arriving in Milan after a delightful weekend in France, I was less than pleased to discover that while I was gone, the Milan Centrale Station had been converted into a giant porter-potty. Gross! There is nothing less appetizing and more nauseating than the smell and sight of human fecal matter being dumped from the train onto the tracks.
6. Now, the language barrier- I never imagined that one could get so much joy out of hearing their own language. You have no idea how hearing english spikes your endorphin level until you have tried to survive on broken spanish cognates in a non-spanish speaking country for the last fortnight. Everyone I talked to said that nearly everyone spoke english and that I would have absolutely no problem getting around. HAH! I guess the joke is on me. Even asking where the peanut butter in the grocery store is (which btw- you cant buy here! I miss my skippy!) is a challenge! Even with a strong background in Spanish and a few Italian lessons, I can barely communicate how to ask wh!). Mostly they just shake their heads at you and mumble something in Italian. My favorite is when you blend in so well you get natives coming up to you and asking you things. Its at this point that I just shake my head and say "Non capisco, Parle ingles?" I of course have no idea what they are saying, and when I have a light bulb moment, its the most euphoric feeling ever! I was lucky enough to travel to Italy with a few guys that spoke english- one from Venezuela and one from Port Jeff. They helped me immensly, and I admit I would have been lost that first day without them.
7. Siestas! Although, Spain is often more widely known for their mid-day naptime, Italy follows suit! Siestas are amazing because they basically book nap-time into their day. All the stores close from 1-4 and everyone goes home for a hot meal or a nap or whatever. Its also a great time to wander around because mostly the streets are empty since there isnt much to do when everything is shut down. But, if you get lost- good luck, you are on your own!
8. Europeans know how to have a party! I've now been to several carnivals and I have to say, Im impressed! They certainly know how to have a good time, which makes traveling here a lot of fun! There is always something going on- its like being in a continent-wide college town for 10 weeks. Love it!
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment